Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Snuggle

This was the advice I received from a good friend who recently went back to work after maternity leave, "Snuggle."

I am taking that advice to heart:


This is my last week of maternity leave. I find it ironic that my return to work coincides with Paul Tudor Jones' recent comments about mothers in the work place. 

Note: Jones later back pedaled and said he was referring to macro traders, not all mothers in general. This guy just doesn't get it.

Since this is my blog, consider that I am already on my soap box, hence, I found Jones' remarks incredibly offensive for many reasons:

1. The assumption that mothers are the only ones who care about their children. All the fathers I know care just as much about their children as mothers.

2. Jones' ignorance toward breast feeding. In his statements, Jones says it is the "most beautiful experience," and alludes to this connection as the very reason that mothers return to work in a state of ineptitude. Paul, I have news for you-breast feeding is a lot of work, strange and slightly uncomfortable. Candidly, by the 2nd week I found it a bit boring, and started checking and responding to work emails (no offense, Mackenzie).

3. The assumption that work life and home life cannot coexist. There is no way to leave your home life at home, and your work life at work. And that is not a bad thing. My family is everything to me, and makes up who I am. My work means an awfully lot to me, and makes up who I am. I am passionate about both. I cannot and will not turn off those aspects of myself. What I will strive to do is be PRESENT for both my family and my work-mentally, physically and emotionally. I accept that no perfect balance exists, and all that I can do is give my best effort. 

Take that, Paul Tudor Jones. Yes...I know he will never read this, but I feel better!

No comments:

Post a Comment