Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Baby Big Pants

If you follow Josh on Facebook, you may have noticed that he refers to Mackenzie as "Big Pants." This is meant both figuratively and literally. Figuratively because-for the time being-Mackenzie wears the pants in our family. Literally because were using cloth diapers, which, due to their bulk and diaper cover, made Mackenzie's lower half look....well...Big.

Notice that I said we 'were' using cloth diapers. Sadly, today I officially gave up my effort to reduce Mackenzie's carbon footprint (I actually wanted to cancel two weeks ago, but couldn't bring myself to do it during Earth Week). In theory, cloth diapers seemed so smart, easy and cute (I really got into those diaper covers). Plus, my mom used them with me, and I turned out pretty good. Oh, I should totally point out that we used a cloth diaper service...IE, a wonderful company picked up our dirty diapers and provided us with clean ones. No way in hell I'd clean our own.

Everyone was on board with this plan....except for Mackenzie. We really should've asked her first. The wonderful thing about Mackenzie is that she is tuned into everything. Sounds, smells, sights and other sensations. The not so wonderful thing about Mackenzie is that she is tuned into everything. So, when she had a wet cloth diaper she made sure to let you know. After weeks of changing up to 20 diapers a day, I gave into a few things:

1. Mackenzie will leave a carbon footprint. Hopefully it's not as big as the generation's before hers.
2. I will gladly pay more money for disposable diapers and whatever it is that wicks away moisture.
3. I need to keep some things simple when it comes to parenting. Really? 20 diapers a day?
4. We still recycle, use 'free' dishwashing soap and carpool to work. You're welcome, Earth.



No comments:

Post a Comment