Tuesday, April 9, 2013

A Right and Wrong Kind of Luck

We are officially a month into my rookie season as a parent, and a month into Mackenzie's rookie season of living outside of the womb.

Mackenzie is making great strides with tummy time, following objects with her eyes, making 'oooo' noises and getting used to the world. However, as any new parent will tell you, I've learned a lot more from Mackenzie than she's learned from me.

So far, I've learned that nothing is harder yet more rewarding than being a parent, and to disregard any parenting 'how to' book and trust my gut. And, today, I learned that there is a right and wrong kind of luck.

Disclaimer: this story involves poop.

I always found my friends' baby "blowout" tales pretty funny. All the while, I secretly hoped that I'd be lucky and avoid a blowout in public. At the very least, I vowed to always be prepared.

Wrong. I suffered my first public blowout-in the parking lot of the pediatrician's office-and was stuck without a changing pad or an extra onesie for Mackenzie. Mackenzie was very good natured about it all, while I, on the other hand, was very frazzled.

Hoping to avoid a blowout is hoping for the wrong kind of luck...and it's just unrealistic.

The right kind of luck is something that we are grateful to have. Mackenzie had a great check-up, is healthy and alert, and gets cooler every day.

I'll take any number of blowouts (within reason) for that kind of luck.

Happy 1 Month!










No comments:

Post a Comment